Can you believe it’s already that time of the year?
The school year is literally just around the corner! You know what that means–you’re about to get 1,000 times busier.
Here are some tips to make the transition smoother (and to keep you sane while flying from school to activities to dinner and (finally) to bed):
- Create a family calendar–lay out the bones so it’s easier to fill in once practices, rehearsals, field trips, and special events are planned! (Or in this digital age, try scheduling apps like Cozi)
- Revamp home organization to get the little ones involved. HGTV has compiled a list of strategies for different age groups! Start ’em young and they’ll be organized for life. Teach them to keep their school supplies organized at home and their cubbies at school will reflect it!
- Discuss what your child can expect on the first day so they feel more prepared (and let’s be honest, so that you feel more prepared!)
- Keep them active with after physical school programs–gymnastics, dancing, sports, skating, heck, even competitive jump-roping! Keep them healthy and give them a good outlet for that energy!
- Establish (or re-establish) screen time rules to ensure they’re exploring cyber space after their real-world responsibilities are complete.
- Create an established family time every day. It doesn’t need to be long or a production–just a time free of screens, homework, work, and extra curricular activities to sit and chat together. (Bonus points if it’s a walk, quick game of soccer, bike ride, or something else that gets everyone moving!)
- Short and active break after each finished homework assignment to keep the mind fresh and ready to go!
- Get a roster from your child’s teacher so you know who to arrange play days with! Plus, it’s just good information to have!
- Work on realistic goal setting, like read 30 books before school is out.
- Make a designated “work time” and have the kids complete their homework while you complete some of your work–whether it be job type-work or housework!
- Reusable sports water bottles to increase water consumption while staying green! (Like this one from the RED Day Run!)
- Trick yourself a bit and Make it easier to be on time by setting clocks 10 minutes fast!
- Build in a mandatory SELF CARE Time block of 30 MINUTES to do something that makes you feel happy–play music, watch your favorite show, have a drink to unwind, pamper yourself, eat a good snack, you know, let your hair down and enjoy!
Obviously, there are so many different ways to approach this school year to ensure maximum success for your kiddos, but also for you! Google literally has over 1,600,000 hits for “Back to School Tips” so for some more, click here!
And remember, only around 309 more days til Summer 2020!
***I do not own the above images***